In 1901 the Canadian Pacific Railway and Steamship Company bought out the Canadian Pacific Navigation Company. Their first ship on the Charlotte run was the "Amur."
In May of 1912 a new steamer, "Princess Sophia," arrived at Victoria after a 14,000 mile journey from the United Kingdom. Her arrival had been eagerly awaited by the Islanders because of news reports stating that she had been built "especially for northern British Columbia and Island service." Such reports, however, were more than a little exaggerated. The Princess Sophia was placed immediately on the northern run to Skagway, but in the same year the Canadian Pacific discontinued their service to the Islands, and the settlers were once more left without direction connection to Victoria or Vancouver.
In 1909 the Grand Truck Pacific Railway commenced a Prince Rupert to Sandspit run with their first vessel, the "Henriette." This was followed in 1910 by the "Prince Albert" and in 1911 by the "Prince John" and the "Prince Charles." For the year 1930 another vessel, the "Prince William," was also in service to the Islands. Until 1940 the Canadian National (Grand Trunk) continued their steamship connection with the Islands, but in that year they sold out to the Union Steamship Company of Vancouver. The old Prince John, by now an honored veteran of the stormy waters of Hecate Straits, was renamed the "Cassair." In 1948 two new vessels were added to the run by the Union Company--the "Coquitlam" and the new "Camosun." Both these ships are extremely modern and even luxurious craft, and thus the pioneering days of transportation to the Islands are ended.
|The Massett Leader, 1913|